Truth In Lending Tables (TILT) Dictionary
A comprehensive dictionary of terms used in MFTransparency’s Truth in Lending Tables (TILT) can be accessed by clicking here or on the name below:
This dictionary will guide you through the detailed range of metrics available about each product and institution. The TILT presents a rich range of pricing attributes, containing detailed data about microloan products that has been voluntarily disclosed by microfinance institutions around the world, and comparable pricing data that has been calculated and verified by MFTransparency analysts using loan client documentation as evidence of pricing.
The TILT are presented in comma separated value (CSV) format as five separate files contained in a zipped folder. The most useful tables for initial general viewing are the Product Table and the Institution Table, with the Price Data Table being more useful for more detailed analysis.
- Institution Data – Containing key details about the microfinance institution, this table includes address details, geographic coverage, funder and network membership information, and scale and target group.
- Product Data – Containing information about each microloan product (one record for each product of each institution), this is the largest and most useful table for analysis. Sections of this table cover key product size statistics, product purpose, eligibility criteria, included services, lending methodology, loan size and term, statistical information on the prices of the loan samples for this product extracted from the Sample Data table; and details on all pricing components such as interest, fees, insurance, taxes, and compulsory deposits.
- Price Data – This table contains details about all the loan samples used for the pricing calculations, including a range of pricing calculations that incorporate various pricing components. This information is summarized in the Product Data table, but this table can be used for more detailed analysis or to generate graphs. This is the table used for the graphs displayed on the MFTransparency website.
- Fee Data – This is a support table, containing details about any fees and insurance requirements of each loan product. The Product Data table contains this information in summary form.
- Sample Data – This is a support table that presents the same information as the Price Data table, displayed in a different way whereby all the samples of a loan product can be viewed within a single row, rather than in separate rows.
For more information on the TILT, please click here.